The Senior Financial Accountant analyzes and maintains accounting functions and related activities in compliance with local, state, and federal regulations in support of the mission and values of Moore Holding Company. The Senior Financial Accountant is responsible for conducting analysis and financial reviews of revenue, expenses and overhead. Provides input into external and internal audit functions and internal controls.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
Accounting and Analysis
- Gathers and organizes financial data from accounting and other systems.
- Compiles data into financial reports, analyses and creates new financial reports as required.
- Identifies trends and discrepancies and brings to the attention of department managers and senior management.
- Manages the general ledger to ensure integrity of financial information and reporting.
- Works with the accounting staff, as required, in the processing of payroll, payables, receivables and the preparation of monthly financial statements.
- Assists with daily, weekly, monthly, and year-end accounting processes as required.
- Documents daily, monthly, quarterly, and annual processes and procedures.
- Tracks the firm’s financial metrics monthly and report deviations from budgeted and industry benchmarks.
- Analyses adherence to company accounting policies and recommends actions to improve compliance.
- Interacts with Department Managers, Project Managers and Group Leaders regarding variances in expected/budgeted performance and report on causes of variance and corrective measures that will be implemented.
- Assists in the preparation of the firm’s operating budgets and capital expenditure budgets.
- Analyzes the financial impact of changes to corporate and/or operating policies and procedures.
- Assists with the timely preparation of the firm’s Financial Statements.
- As directed, assists with monitoring the firm’s compliance with various financial restrictions and debt covenants.
- Analyzes all department’s adherence to company goals, objectives and budgets and provides progress reports to the company management.
- Assists with evaluation of the firm’s operating results to industry-wide standards as required. Provides assistance to the Accounting Manager and CFO in acting as liaison with outside financial parties such as banks and other creditors as requested.
- Performs various analyses or conducts special projects for Corporate Officers.
- Participates in other company projects or initiatives as required.
Business Software Management
- Works with others, as required, to maintain and update business software including job costing, receivable control, payable and analysis, work in progress control, manpower utilization, overhead analysis, and financial reporting so that the system provides timely and meaningful information to management.
- Reviews system to ensure that all new projects and promotional jobs are properly initiated in the accounting and project management system and the budgets, billing procedures, and other special requirements are denoted by the project engineer.
- Analyzes project performance against pre-determined budget and reports variances to appropriate management for corrective actions as needed.
- Audits/analyses contract administration files to ensure that all required documents have been properly completed and included in the contract file and that the agreement is adhered to for purposed of billing, project management, and government regulations and reports variances to appropriate leadership.
- Assists with the establishment and maintenance of a system whereby project engineers update status, budgets, and other job-related data on a regular basis.
Tax Reporting and Planning
- Assists, as required, with the timely and proper preparation of all federal and state tax returns as well as various state filings and property tax returns.
- Analyzes the firm’s compliance with federal and state tax laws and regulations and advises of any actions necessary to maintain compliance.
- Works with Accounting Manager and CFO, as required, on company tax planning by monitoring the impact of laws and regulations.
- Assists the Accounting Manager and CFO with annual audits of financial statements by external accounting firm and negotiates all accounting/audit issues to the best advantage of the firm (including annual reports, the break-even multiplier report, and the Trust).
- Analyzes, monitors, and makes recommendations to the Accounting Manager and CFO on the company’s system of internal control to ensure that the company’s assets and financial records are safeguarded.
- Analyzes the internal control function of the firm to maintain a high level of accuracy and integrity of financial information and makes recommendations on changes to improve controls.
- Participates in the audit of overhead rates and contracts by various governmental agencies and negotiation of audit issues to the firm’s best advantage.
- Assists in daily cash management functions, as required, such as cash reporting, cash transfers and line of credit transfers to conserve the company’s cash position.
- Assists with the preparation of required reports for various local, state, and federal government agencies.
- Assists and/or lead in the planning considerations and determining impact of major transactions on company’s overhead rates.
- Assists Project Managers, as required, in the pricing of governmental contracts.
- Performs special projects at the request of the CEO, COO, CFO, or other leaders within the company.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting or Finance.
- CPA, CMA or MBA a plus.
- Minimum ten years’ diversified accounting experience, including financial analysis experience.
- Working knowledge of GAAP.
- Proficiency in spreadsheets, databases and other financial tools and applications.
- Thorough expertise in accounting and financial fields and working knowledge of firm’s design disciplines.
- Working knowledge of the professional, ethical, governmental and market influences affective an engineering consulting company. Experience with governmental audits, development and forecasting of allowable factors and profit margins.